It’s Halloween time and that means candy galore. If you happen to share your home with a young child or have a young grandchild visiting, chances are you just might find a piece of abandoned hard candy on your beautiful carpet. Lollipops, Jolly Ranches, Gobstoppers, so many possibilities for the candy stain you find. The professionals at Freeman Carpet Cleaning would like to share these hard candy carpet cleaning tips to help you get your carpet cleaned up from your little goblin or princess.
- cool water (hot water can spread the candy dye)
- white cleaning cloths
- stain remover
- butter knife or a spoon
The key with hard candy stains is dissolving. Hard candies are sugar based and will dissolve with water if you are patient.
- Apply cool water to the stain area. Wait up to 1 hour to let the stain dissolve. As candy begins to detach from the carpet, carefully pull large pieces out of the carpet fibers. Scrap gently with a spoon or butter knife if necessary to help loosen up the candy. Continue gently removing and adding cool water to help with the dissolving process.
- Once as much of the candy is out of the carpet as possible, you will probably have a sticky colored spot remaining. Apply carpet stain remover according to the manufacturer’s
- Blot with a dry cloth to remove cleaner and stain. Make sure to use a clean cloth section for each blot to avoid accidentally spreading the
- For a stubborn stain, you can blot the spot with a cloth moistened with vinegar.
- After removing stain, blot area with a cleaning cloth moistened with
- Blot with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Allow area to dry completely before walking on that area of carpet.
We hope these hard candy stain tips will help you to get your carpet back in beautiful condition. As always, for any especially challenging carpet stain problems, give us a call at Freeman Carpet Cleaning. We’re here to help in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, and all over Southeastern Idaho!